How to Setup Stripe with Bokun
Connecting to a Payment Provider
In order to take online payments through Bokun you will need to add one or more payment providers from inside your Bokun account. In most, cases you will will only need one payment provider.
Testing Before Production
It’s always a good idea to test that the payment provider receives payment through your Bokun account. We can be in ‘test mode’ using a dummy credit card number in Bokun to test if a dummy payment is received into Stripe.
Here are the number for a dummy credit card
- Visa: 4242 4242 4242 4242
- Mastercard: 5555 5555 5555 4444
- American Express: 3782 822463 10005
We can also test the live account by making a small transaction on a product we create, then refund the amount back to our account.
In this tutorial I will use Stripe as a payment provider – let’s walk through the steps to getting setup:
Setup a Stripe Account
Create a NEW ACCOUNT with Stripe and fill in all the details about your business and bank account etc. Here is the website for setting up and creating a new Stripe account: Stripe.com.
How to Setup Stripe with Bokun
- Login to your Bokun account, select the cog wheel then Payment Providers from the menu.
- If you do not have any payment providers setup then click Yes.
- Now select the payment provider you wish to use. In this case it is Stripe.
- You will see 2 choices – Production or Test. Let’s select Test first.
You should now see the following screen:
Give your Stripe Test account a name which means you are testing…
You will see areas that need filled out – Publishable Key and Secret Key. We will get this information from our Stripe account.
- Log in to your Stripe account.
- Click on Viewing test data
- Mouse-over the Publishable key and click your mouse, this will copy the info to your clipboard.
- Go back to Bokun and paste the publishable key info into your Publishable key area – as in screenshot above.
- Go back to Stripe and click on the eye icon to reveal the secret key. Paste this into your Bokun secret key area, as above in screenshot.
- Save when complete.
Now we are just a few steps away from completing the setup!
Add Payment Provider to Booking Channel
Now we need to assign Stripe to our Booking Channel inside Bokun:
- Go to the cog wheel and select Booking Channels from the menu.
- See the screenshot below, select Stripe from the Payment Provider drop-down menu.
Click on Save at the bottom of the screen.
Create a Bokun Product and Test Stripe
Now, let’s create an experience or accommodation product within Bokun and test our stripe TEST setup.
I’m assuming you already know how to setup a new product in Bokun, if not, then I would suggest following a Bokun help tutorial (I may post another tutorial on this, if people want to know).
Generate Widget Code
Ok, from the cog wheel inside Bokun select the Widgets menu.
- Select Embed Widget for the product you have created. If it is an experience then click on Embed Widget from the Default Experience Time Selector.
- On the next window, select the Booking Channel you added the payment provider to.
- Then select Supplier and Product information.
- Now we are ready to generate the widget code – click on the blue Generate embed code button.
- Try to book the product you created.
- When it comes to entering a credit card number – use a dummy credit card number: 4242 4242 4242 4242 – then enter a future date and CVC number to complete the transaction.
- If all has gone well, go to your Stripe account and select Payments from the menu – see if you can see your transaction.
If you have followed the steps, you should now see a Test Transaction in Stripe.
Setup Live Payment – We’re close now!!!
Ok, now all we have to do now is ADD another payment token but this time in Production mode, instead of test.
Simply do the following:
- Go back to the instructions further back where the heading says: Setup Stripe with Bokun
- Instead of Test use production!
- Go into your Stripe account and make sure view test data is NOT selected.
- Click on the Developers menu and select API Keys – Use the live publishable and secret keys here and paste them into your Bokun payment providers live keys.
- Go back to your Booking Channel and select the new Live Payment Keys
You are now ready to take real payments!
Test on a live product if you like – just make it a very low price then refund yourself!
Or, create a coupon code with a 100% discount and enter it into the product at the checkout.
You are now open for business!